Most rugs and carpets do not last as long as manufacturers indicate. This is mostly not because the manufacturers are wrong, but due to conditions these carpets/rugs are subjected to. So, what does it take to maintain a carpets elegant appeal and make it last longer? Here are a few tips on how to:
1. Keep the carpets clean: Do not wait until rugs are drenched with dirt to start cleaning them. Vacuuming at least once in a week helps keep the carpets clean, and prevents dirt from accumulating between the carpet fibers. Entries and high traffic areas should be vacuumed more frequently and take your time. Moving the vacuum too fast reduces the soil being picked up.
2. Have a professional clean the carpets thoroughly: Professional carpet cleaners are well experienced in their job, and help maintain fibers deep in the carpet clean as well. Professional cleaners can get to extents that intensive vacuuming cannot get to. It is however recommended that you have a professional carpet cleaner work on the carpets at least twice in a year. Every time you wait until your carpets are visibly soiled before cleaning, the life of the carpet is reduced by six months.
3. Try re-positioning the rugs regularly: Rearranging the room, or better still, re-positioning it can help prevent continual wear on specific areas. This is important for rooms with the most traffic, where you find one side of the carpet is darker than the other side. Repositioning it helps give it an even appeal as well.
4. Work on stains while still fresh: Stains from juice or wine do cause a lot of harm on carpets. Nevertheless, working on the stain before it dries out can help prevent farther damage, hence increase the carpet’s lifetime. Waiting until the carpet has dried means that, more effort will be applied to remove the stain. This weakens that particular section of the carpet.
5. Ensure only approved and Eco-friendly detergents are used that are designed for your carpet fiber. Many household cleaning products can damage your carpet and cause permanent discoloration or color loss. Wool,cotton and other natural rug fibers are even more sensitive to cleaning products, even ones designed for carpet.
Follow these tips and see how long your carpet will maintain its aesthetic value.